Onyx Properties: Using Onyx in Your Every Day Life
What Is Onyx?
- Onyx is a form of layered chalcedony.
- Although the most common color for Onyx is black it also comes in greens, browns, pinks, reds and even clear with a white banding.
- The name Onyx is derived from the Greek word for claw or finger. The myth in Ancient Greece was that Cupid cut the fingernails of his mother, the goddess Aphrodite, using his arrow. When the fingernails fell from the heights of Mount Olympus they landed in the Indus River and turned to Onyx.
- The Ancient Greeks were not the only civilization to treasure Onyx. Chinese culture believes Onyx to be a protection stone and is used in the practice of Feng Shui. Indian Folklore says Onyx will protect you from evil and disharmony.
- Onyx can be found from Brazil to India, Russia to the United States, and Italy to Mexico.
Healing Properties of Onyx
- As with all black stones Onyx acts as a shield against negative energies.
- Onyx imparts it’s wearer with strength and self-confidence.
- Onyx promotes good fortune and happiness.
- Onyx provides support in times of emotional trauma or physical stress.
- Onyx can be used to heal old greifs or sorrow.
- Not only does Onyx keep your nervous sytem in balance, it also boosts your immune system.
- Onyx is useful when recovering from a long illness. It helps you focus on healing instead of the cause of the illness.
- Onyx helps balance the yin and the yang energies that surround you.
Onyx is associated with the root chakra. Considered to one of the most important chakra points the root chakra grounds us to Mother Earth. Like a lighting rod all negative and excess energies will exit through our root chakra.
Cleansing Your Stone
Like all crystals Onyx needs to be cleansed on a regular basis. Holding your stone under running water will help dispel any negative energy collected. In order for your stone to keep it’s beautiful black hue avoid prolonged contact with the sun.